Fields: government, health, disaster recovery, healthcare, outreach
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
About the Organization: Alexandria Health Department (AHD) is one of 35 health districts in Virginia. As part of the Virginia Department of Health, AHD serves the residents, businesses, and visitors of Alexandria and works closely with the City of Alexandria and community partners to achieve its mission and vision. Alexandria is the most densely populated city in Virginia and is rich in diversity and community engagement. AHD’s mission is “Protecting and Promoting Health and Well-Being in Our Communities” and our vision is “Healthy People, Healthier Communities.” We view “health” in the broadest sense and this drives our path towards continuous health improvement with a focus on equity of the social determinants of health.
About the Position: The AHD Assistant Public Health Emergency Coordinator provides planning and coordination support to the Public Health Emergency Management (PHEM) program and AHD as a whole. The PHEM program is responsible for all emergency preparedness and response activities for AHD and all public health and medical preparedness for the City of Alexandria.
Characteristic duties for this position include: plan development, training, exercises, support of grants management, logistics support, supply inventory, safety program, outreach and education. This position also rotates responsibility for holding the 24/7 PHEM Duty Officer phone with other PHEM team members for at least one week out of every month and performs other duties as required. Responsibilities are carried out as part of a team, with supervision, or independently based on a work plan developed and approved by the supervisor.
Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to provide own transportation for work. Must be willing and able to work evenings/weekends for public health emergencies, events and incidents, potentially for 12-hour shifts; to rotate the 24/7 Epidemiology Duty Officer phone with other PHEM Team members; and to perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Homeland Security, Emergency Management, Emergency and Disaster Management, or a closely related field; or equivalent training and/or relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of public health/healthcare preparedness or emergency management; Experience writing emergency plans.
- Experience conducting training and/or outreach; Excellent oral and written communications skills required as well as ability to make presentations to large groups.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a rapidly changing environment while maintaining a positive attitude and top quality service.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to work in dynamic, diverse and stressful environments.
- Clear, concise and inclusive communication skills, both oral and written, are necessary.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Emergency Management or a closely related field; or equivalent experience in public health or emergency management. Advanced emergency management certifications/training such as ICS 300/400, HSEEP.
Estimated Salary: Starting from $59,674/year up to $68,093/year
Deadline: October 15, 2018
Virginia Department of Health