Fields: arts, culture, design, consulting, marketing
Location: Los Angeles, California
About the Organization: Rich Cherry, is a non-profit leader, skilled in museum building design, construction, operations, technology, and all things digital. He offers consulting services that leverage his 20 years of experience in non-profits and museums along with 30 years of technology and operations experience. He has run and revitalized existing institutions and designed and built new museums and non-profits from the ground up and has overseen more than $300 million in construction and capital projects. His work as co-chair of the largest museum technology conference and as co-editor of its proceedings gives him unique access to thousands of colleagues working at the forefront of innovation in the cultural sector.
About the Position: Do you have a desire to work with world-class museums and cultural organizations but are at the beginning of your career? Do you have a great work ethic and attention to detail as well as a love of writing and the ability to quickly understand complex topics and explain them in layman’s terms? Are you interested in innovation, technology, organizational change, and the business processes that facilitate them?
This position is an opportunity for you to learn and to grow, and be part of a great team that gets to work on some of the most interesting projects in the arts and cultural sector and with some of the most amazing thinkers and leaders in the field.
An internationally recognized museum consultant with more than 30 years of experience, who focuses on innovation, operations, technology, and construction in the arts and cultural sector seeks a part-time personal assistant in his Los Angeles home office located in downtown Culver City.
This position will primarily support the consulting business which helps organizations, funders, and philanthropists in the cultural sector, analyze and solve complex problems as well as envision, plan and execute innovative projects in the cultural sector.
Seasonally, it will also support an annual museum conference, which also focuses on the challenging work of innovation in the cultural sector. The conference is a forum to review, discuss and advance efforts to transform the business of culture, showcasing innovative leaders and projects that increase the inclusivity, accessibility, efficiency, and sustainability of cultural heritage and it endeavors to teach attendees how to take these lessons back and make a difference in their organization.
This is the first position in what has been a fast-growing consulting practice. The principle is well known for his ability to find, and mentor a diverse group of entry level staff, and help them reach their fullest potential within the museum field. If successful this position may become a full time position. The office is the easy walking distance from downtown restaurants and 0.2 miles from the Ballona Creek Bike Path and 1.5 miles from the La Cienega/Jefferson Station of the Expo line.
- Must be a prolific and competent writer who can express original ideas clearly, as well as listen and read others ideas and quickly create and edit short and long-form content based on those ideas.
- Must be a talented researcher able to be creative in the acquisition of information to expand ideas and document and reference existing work.
- Must have excellent copy-writing skills
- Experience gathering relevant and creative content for distribution across multiple channels including social media, email newsletters, blog posts, press releases, websites, program descriptions, marketing material, and sponsorship proposals.
- Experience with graphic design tools (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and the ability to produce visually appealing graphics for promotional and educational purposes
- Knowledge of social media management tools including an understanding of social media analytics and the ability to gather them and visualize them; Expert user of social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn) and web content management systems, with specific knowledge of WordPress or other web CMS platforms being a bonus.
- Work exceptionally well with a team of cultural professionals but can work autonomously and without daily supervision
- Have the ability to exercise creative problem-solving not only with content but also with technology; Able to learn and use as well as find and implement software solutions to improve the quality and efficiency of the office and workflow; Advanced Microsoft Office skills on Mac or PC.
- Basic video recording, editing, and production skills desired
- Have an interest in and understanding of the unique opportunities and challenges of working in the GLAM sector (galleries, libraries, archives, or museums)
- Ability to uphold a strict level of confidentiality
Estimated Salary: $25-$35/hour
Rich Cherry Consulting