Fields: health, research, communications, racial justice, advocacy
Location: Oakland, California
About the Organization: PHI is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. PHI’s mission is to generate and promote research, leadership and partnerships to build capacity for strong public health policy, programs, systems and practices. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally.
About the Position: You will provide administrative support as part of a small but creative and impactful communications team, and have the opportunity to build your own communications portfolio by contributing to advocacy, press outreach and social media efforts. This is a full time (40 hours/week) position based in Oakland, CA.
The ideal candidate may have experience as a communications professional, but may also have demonstrated the relevant experience as a student, activist or community member (and can point to concrete examples of that experience). We are seeking someone who has creativity, strong writing/grammar skills, and a fluency with digital and other technologies: you can figure out intuitively how to go into a new social media site and make it work, what makes a tweet sharable, or how to build a drag-and-drop web site.
- Associate’s degree OR 1 – 3 years of professional communications experience
- Exceptional writing, editing and oral communication skills
- Experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin
- Availability for occasional light travel
- **Preferred Qualifications**
- Experience from within a public health, non-profit, academic or research institution
- Demonstrated understanding of racial and social justice work from a communications perspective
- Experience creating ads for Facebook, Linkedin and Google AdWords for NonProfits
- Experience using online design tools
- Experience with CMS/EMS/CRM platforms such as Constant Contact, Salesforce, Mailchimp or WordPress.; Familiarity with PowerPoint
Estimated Salary: begins at $24.49/hour
Deadline: Until filled
Public Health Institute