Fields: outreach, civic engagement, latinos, labor, social justice
Location: Sacramento, California
About the Organization: The Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment, also known as ACCE, is dedicated to raising the voices of everyday Californians, neighborhood by neighborhood, so that our children have stronger communities and expanded opportunities. Fueled by modest membership dues and a vast network of volunteers across the state, ACCE creates transformative change by organizing ordinary citizens to take action on issues such as public education, home foreclosures, and the state budget crisis. ACCE is advancing the mission of organizing and empowering low-income communities to actively engage in the civic process, impact policy, and bring needed changes to their communities and lives.
About the Position: We seek a field organizer with a passion for working with marginalized residents and low-income communities of color to organize, build their power, and wage campaigns to bring about policy changes and investment that improve their standard of living and/or quality of life. We are looking for someone who understands the necessity of prioritizing poor and working families. The position requires the ability to work some evening hours and weekends – the typical work schedule starts mid-day and goes into the evening. We provide paid training; experience is a plus but not necessary.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish
- Belief in organizing for power and commitment to social justice.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Must be able to engage in community outreach through door knocking for 4-hours per day. Ability to work flexible hours;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to take initiative, work independently, and overcome obstacles. Organizational skills to manage and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Deep understanding of issues facing communities of color, and low-and moderate-income families;
- Experience working with similar membership-based community organizations (or unions)
- Skilled at one-to-one organizing, successful experience at mass turnout, and/or experience with grassroots fundraising.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a dependable vehicle (mileage reimbursed)
Estimated Salary: ACCE uses a fixed salary skill based on responsibility and years of experience. Salary for this position begins at $18.31/hour or approx. $40,946 annually. ACCE offers a generous benefits package to all full-time employees.
Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE)