Fields: racial justice, youth, education, social work, job training
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
About the Organization: While young people from low-income communities – who are disproportionately young people of color – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life, they possess unique strengths, resilience and tremendous potential. When provided with support and resources, these young people fulfill their potential and achieve success in school, work and life. Through a combination of mentoring and transformative experiences, Summer Search supports young people to successfully transition from adolescence into adulthood. We aim to unleash the potential of our young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
About the Position: Summer Search Philadelphia is seeking a Program Associate to mentor a caseload of approximately 35 high school students, building long-term 1:1 relationships over the course of sophomore year through high school graduation. Taking a student-centered and culturally relevant approach, this hire will utilize Summer Search’s unique mentoring methodology, prepare students for two challenging summer experience, and support post-secondary readiness and matriculation. Through weekly conversations, the Program Associate will partner with students to provide individualized support of the many facets of students’ lives, which includes conversations about identities and social/cultural contexts. Work hours are Mon-Fri 10am-6pm with occasional weekend and evening special events. Work location is Summer Search office in downtown Philadelphia.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: Program Associates exemplify curiosity, empathy, teamwork, flexibility, critical consciousness, and a commitment to learning. Specifically, strong candidates will bring…
- BA/BA or equivalent experience in the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the responsibilities of the job. Equivalencies includes demonstrated knowledge in education, social work, counseling, or a related field.
- Master’s degree in education, social work, counseling or related field is a plus.
- Experience in supporting students toward Post-secondary outcomes (i.e. college and alternative pathways)/ working with student populations served by Summer Search (e.g. low-income families, students of color, LGBTQA, English Language Learners, and diverse religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.)
- An analysis around systems of oppression and how they affect our students and communities. Understanding of systemic and institutionalized racism facing communities of color, and the historical context of privilege and power in America, with sensitivity and humility in engaging youth around these topics.
- Bi-lingual English-Spanish is a plus.
- Academic or applied knowledge of adolescent development is a plus.
- Group facilitation experience with youth or young adults is a plus.
- Proficiency in meticulous data tracking and management; experience using CoPilot, Salesforce or a similar database is a plus.
Estimated Salary: $35,000-$37,800 plus benefits
Deadline: Until filled
Summer Search Philadelphia