Fields: rural, youth, education, research, M&E
Location: Boone, North Carolina
About the Organization: GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded college access program at Appalachian State University designed to increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education immediately after high school. We work in partnership with 11 school districts to provide college preparation activities to 15,000 middle and high school students and parents. We are here to support students from the Appalachian region of NC to find their own unique path to postsecondary education.
About the Position: Research Assistant position (RA) with the Program Evaluation component of the GEAR UP project which currently serves 15,000 students, their parents, and all staff of 11 rural school districts in western North Carolina.
The range of duties includes but are not limited to: Assist GEAR UP and the College Access Partnership projects with data management needs including good collaboration, communication and technical support for staff and school districts. Assist with the preparation of manuals, pre-testing of online surveys, data editing and cleaning, data documentation, data collection support, QC of incoming data, data analysis, and reporting. Assist the Assistant Director of Evaluation with coding and debugging the operating software.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 year of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Strong organization, attention to detail, self-motivation, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer and technology skills, especially working in databases. Strong knowledge and experience working in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel.
- Ability to work well independently and as a team. Ability to manage competing tasks and completing assignments on time and with accuracy.
- Experience in education grades 9-12 desirable.
- Experience using SPSS desirable.
Estimated Salary: $31,200-$35,066 plus benefits. If no applicants apply who meet the required competencies, then management may consider other applicants at a lower competency level. See living wage of Watauga County here: http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/37189
Deadline: January 31, 2019
Appalachian State University