Fields: LGBTQ, health, HIV, social work, outreach
Location: Long Beach, California
About the Organization: The mission of the LGBTQ Center Long Beach is to empower and advocate our community to achieve a more equitable society and fosters an ever-improving quality of life for the LGBTQ community. The Center was founded in 1980 in response the HIV epidemic that disproportionately impacting the transgender and gay communities in Long Beach. Our staff has grown from a group of volunteers and minimal staff to a staff of 21 and a budget that makes us one of the largest LGBTQ organizations in the country.
About the Position: Under the supervision of the Director of Health Services, the Transgender Health Program Coordinator is responsible for the implementation and coordination of The LGBTQ Center of Long Beach’s transgender health program. As part of a collaboration with APLA Health Long Beach this position is charged with the organization of community outreach, light case management, linkage to care and resources. The Transgender Health Program Coordinator provides direct services to clients, including rapid HIV testing, STI screening, health navigation for people living with HIV, risk reduction activities, community level interventions and events geared towards trans, gender-non-conforming and non-binary individuals living with or at risk for HIV/AIDS acquisition.
- 1-2 years of professional, educational, or life experience providing services to transgender communities; Project coordination experience is preferred
- Strong understanding of and interest in transgender health issues
- Strong interpersonal communication skills; Bilingual preferred not required (English/Spanish)
- Strong ability to manage emotionally challenging situations with utmost professionalism, care and discretion
- Knowledge of existing local community resources strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, socio-economic statuses, immigration statuses, and genders.
- Ability to provide precise, well-written documentation
- Experience providing HIV education, testing and counseling (certification preferred, not required)
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize assigned duties; Ability to work independently and in small groups; Ability to meet deadlines and work within a team-based environment
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and over-time, as needed
- Knowledge and skill with computer software (Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
Estimated Salary: $18/hour + benefits
Deadline: Until filled
LGBTQ Center of Long Beach