Fields: LGBTQ, health, youth, social work, outreach
Location: Long Beach, California
About the Organization: The mission of the LGBTQ Center Long Beach is to empower and advocate our community to achieve a more equitable society and fosters an ever-improving quality of life for the LGBTQ community. The Center was founded in 1980 in response the HIV epidemic that disproportionately impacting the transgender and gay communities in Long Beach. Our staff has grown from a group of volunteers and minimal staff to a staff of 21 and a budget that makes us one of the largest LGBTQ organizations in the country.
About the Position: The Family Services Coordinator is responsible for providing health and wellness services to youth and families at The LGBTQ Center Long Beach, which includes planning and implementing programs that promote wellbeing of children and their parents/caregivers, as well as assisting in broader youth services at The Center, including the Mentoring Youth Through Empowerment (MYTE) program and 20Somethings.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: We are looking for someone with a high skill for and gravitates toward engaging in social situations, being with young people and caregivers, drawing out the personalities of young people and has knowledge of the Long Beach youth community. We prefer someone with a youth services background and experience developing programs. Candidate must have demonstrated experience managing youth programs and demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a related field is preferred (e.g. teaching, non-profit, counseling, psychology, social work, women’s studies, gender studies, ethnic studies, public health, etc.).
- 2 years working with youth required.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse populations, exceptional work ethic and self-initiative required.
- Knowledge of issues specific to LGBTQ children, teens, and parents/caregivers of all sexual orientations and gender identities preferred.
- Candidates who have previous experience working with LGBTQ populations, especially youth of color and youth that are socioeconomically disadvantaged preferred.
- Knowledge of case management, child welfare, and academic counseling is preferred. Bilingual (Spanish, Khmer, and/or ASL) preferred.
- Availability to work Saturdays and weekday evenings required.
Estimated Salary: $15-17/hour + benefits
Deadline: Until filled
LGBTQ Center of Long Beach