Fields: racial justice, LGBTQ, youth, health, HIV
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
About the Organization: Program RISE is a multi-service component of JRI Health, serving the MetroWest area (Framingham, Marlborough, Milford, and surrounding towns). RISE offers Preventive Health Care such as confidential screening for HIV, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), and viral Hepatitis, overdose education and Naloxone distribution, and HIV client services, such as medical case management and group support services for individuals affected and living with HIV/AIDS. The latest initiative at Program RISE will focus on LGBTQ youth.
About the Position: The health educator will foster productive relationships with LGBTQ youth of color (with a focus on MSM and transgender women) who are marginalized due to their involvement in the criminal justice system, substance use, homelessness, sexual orientation, or mental health issues and HIV-positive or at high risk for HIV; recruit participants to our high-impact HIV prevention interventions such as CTR (Counseling, Testing, and Referral) and short term patient navigation services. The RISE LBGTQ health educator is a full-time staff position and reports directly to the Program Coordinator with assistance from the Program Manager. Requires: valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle; Available to work evenings, holidays, weekend shifts as necessary; able to work alone in an unsupervised environment. Background Check: Acceptable CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information), OIG background check, driving record.
- Knowledgeable in youth development; able to obtain and interpret information in terms of the needs of youth; understanding of the range of interventions and treatment required by this population.
- Cultural sensitivity and knowledge of diverse youth populations, including Black, Hispanic, LGBTQ youth cultures.
- Ability to provide services using a trauma-informed, harm reduction approach grounded in principles of positive youth development.
- Excellent counseling and communication skills, ability to work independently and as part of an integrated team.
- Strong sense of professionalism, boundaries, and ethics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred, relevant experience may be substituted.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English and/or Portuguese/English preferred
- General knowledge of health promotion and HIV, STI and Viral Hepatitis prevention strategies (will train).
- General knowledge and understanding of the relevant evidence-based interventions (will train).
- Phlebotomy certification/experience preferred (will train).
Estimated Salary: $30,000-$39,000 + benefits (Medical, Dental, 401K, Pension, Tuition Reimbursement)
Deadline: Until filled
Justice Resource Institute