Fields: community development, nonprofit, business, communications, Boston
Location: Watertown, Massachusetts
About the Organization: MassEcon is private non-profit organization that champions Massachusetts as the best place to start, grow, or locate a business. Bringing the public and private sectors together, we work to create a supportive culture for business, enhance job growth, promote investment in communities, and spread prosperity throughout the state. We are located at 101 Walnut Street in Watertown. Accessible by public transit. Red line to Park and/or 70 & 71 buses from Cambridge and Brighton. Bike-friendly, free on-site parking.
About the Position: We are seeking interns to join our small, active, and dynamic staff this spring semester (January – June). We are looking for mature interns with a positive, can-do outlook who can work constructively in a team-oriented environment. This is an outstanding opportunity to gain exposure to all aspects of our mission-driven operation, work closely with senior staff, and to network with member organizations and the economic development community. The candidate will work in an environment where ideas are valued and innovation is encouraged.
Principal responsibilities include:
- Communications, Writing & Research: Updating http://www.massecon.com through WordPress and providing content for social media channels including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Providing design, content, and research support for our electronic newsletters, presentations, and reports. The intern will learn to conduct research and write for our two monthly newsletters tracking economic growth in Massachusetts.
- Event Planning & Execution: Each spring, MassEcon recognizes companies that are new to Massachusetts through its Corporate Welcome Reception and highlights economic topics at its Annual Conference. The intern will assist MassEcon in preparing for these major events, and as such will gain exposure to new and growing companies in Massachusetts, and trends in the Massachusetts economy. In addition, the intern will support the organization’s other meetings and events by designing and issuing invitations, maintaining guest lists, and assisting with audience building via phone and email outreach. Our interns attend all of our events and have significant opportunities to meet members of the business community.
- Administrative Support: Providing general administrative support to the office including screening phone calls, drafting correspondence, assisting with meeting logistics, and other administrative tasks on an as-needed basis.
- Enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree program
- Top-notch writing and research skills. Details matter!
- Demonstrated competence with Adobe Creative Suite, Constant Contact, and CMS tools
- Ability to learn new computer applications that are relevant to design and communications
- High comfort level in communicating in a public facing role
Estimated Salary: $12/hour, 16-20 hours/week minimum
Deadline: Until filled