Fields: immigrants, refugees, policy, correctional system, communications
About the Organization: Detention Watch Network (DWN) is a national coalition building power through collective advocacy, grassroots organizing, and strategic communications to abolish immigration detention in the United States. DWN is staffed by a small and growing team, committed to a vision of a world where every individual lives and moves freely and a society in which racial equity is the norm and immigration is not criminalized.
About the Position: The DWN Communications Associate will play a critical role in ensuring that DWN’s message is clear, consistent and principled in DWN’s vision and values to advance our campaign priorities. The Associate will take the lead in managing DWN’s social media presence including content development and design with the goal to grow DWN’s audiences and increase campaign visibility. Duties include: Press and media outreach, expanding digital reach, coordinating network communications. Location: Anywhere in the US, Mountain or Pacific Time preferred.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: You’ll thrive in this role if this sounds like you….. (*While no candidate will possess every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and attributes. Even if you aren’t sure but are excited about the position, we encourage you to apply!)
- A degree in communications, public relations or a related field; or significant comparable professional experience
- 2 years of experience working with traditional media and digital strategy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; Strong organizational skills and ability to proactively identify opportunities to advance DWN’s messages in the media
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud software or other comparable design, photo and video editing software
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, work well under pressure and adhere to deadlines while balancing multiple projects; Strong attention to detail
- Ability to travel moderately
- Familiarity with social justice issues, particularly related to migrant justice, racial justice and mass criminalization and incarceration
- We’re hoping you bring 1-2 (or more) of these bonus skills:
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred
- Experience with Drupal a plus
- Experience working with diverse coalitions
DWN is committed to racial equity and social justice and we strongly encourage applications from people who are Black, indigenous, or people of color, as well as individuals who have direct experience with the immigration detention system.
Estimated Salary: $55,000 – $60,000 + benefits
Deadline: Until filled
Detention Watch Network