Fields: media, communications, outreach, community development, social justice
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
About the Organization: PCRG is a nonprofit membership organization of community development corporations (CDCs), community-based organizations (CBOs) and community service groups throughout western Pennsylvania. We ensure that the Pittsburgh region has one voice, organizing for equity in financial lending practices, land use and vacant property, transit and infrastructure. In addition to its own knowledge and capacity, PCRG utilizes its connections to members, business, government and communities to drive positive change in social policies, services, and products affecting those who live in low- and moderate-income areas and communities of color. Action-focused policy development and implementation is fundamental to advancing our mission.
About the Position: The Media & Events Coordinator’s primary duties are the cultivation of media relationships and producing major outreach and educational events such as PCRG’s annual Community Development Summit. The successful candidate will effectively build PCRG’s image and promote its capabilities and causes through a combination of generated and earned media, building external relationships through thoughtful engagement with content generators of all platforms. The Coordinator also, with assistance from other staff, creates compelling on- and offline content. Finally, the Coordinator will also facilitate the production of PCRG’s annual Summit, which attracts over 500 attendees from 10 states throughout the Great Lakes and Mid-Atlantic regions, and other major outward facing events as needed. The position reports to PCRG’s Director of Policy.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field is required. 1-3 years’ experience in related field or major event management preferred.
It is not requiredthat the successful individual have deep experience or full knowledge of the community development world. A passion for socioeconomic justice, a willingness to learn, and a desire to serve the public, especially on urban issues are qualities that are valued on equal footing with industry exposure.
The successful Coordinator must be a strong developer of compelling verbal and written content for multiple channels and audiences. This person will also be an outgoing, self-managing, team-oriented individual who is comfortable both talking and listening to sources and media representatives. Strong project management and facilitation skills are also a need.
Additionally, we seek the following qualities:
- Knowledge and/or experience in developing social media strategies and managing and executing successful social media campaigns;
- Knowledge and/or experience in developing mainstream media engagements such as press releases, press conferences, and interviews with journalists;
- The ability to produce creative, clear, compelling, grammatically correct written content;
- Strong verbal communication skills, ability to be concise and clear; Comfortability with speaking to groups;
- Familiarity with web publishing, SEO and basic web CMSs. HTML experience a plus;
- Ability to be self-sufficient and results-driven; Strong organization skills, detail-oriented and deadline-driven;
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment; Team player with positive and enthusiastic attitude;
- Ability to effectively develop and maintain contact management database, preferably using industry-standard CRM software;
- Proficiencies in graphic design and manipulation software such as Adobe Photoshop and inDesign a plus.
Estimated Salary: $30,000 – $40,000/year DOE + medical/dental/vision insurance, disability and life insurance, and 401(k) individual retirement plan. Additionally, PCRG promotes reducing the carbon footprint, and can provide a travel stipend equal to the cost of a monthly transit pass.
Deadline: Until filled
Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group