Fields: urban planning, government, poverty, policy, public interest
About the Organization: NLC is the oldest and largest national organization representing municipal governments throughout the United States. Working in partnership with the 49 state municipal leagues, the National League of Cities serves as a resource to and an advocate for the more than 19,000 cities, villages, and towns it represents. NLC’s Institute for Youth, Education and Families (YEF Institute) helps municipal leaders take action on behalf of the children, youth, and families in their communities.
About the Position: The Economic Opportunity and Financial Inclusion Intern will be responsible for providing program and research support for the Institute’s work in areas related to financial inclusion economic mobility and opportunity.
- Gathers information on initiatives in NLC member cities and other communities that are designed to promote financial and economic inclusion, including efforts help cities build local systems that address the financial needs of families.
- Prepares articles and descriptions of best practices and promising initiatives at the city level for use in NLC newsletters, webinars, blogs, publications, and the NLC City Practices Database.
- Develops program summaries and other related content for posting on the YEF Institute’s pages of NLC’s web site and blogs.
- Organizes conference calls, webinars, and other activities for city leaders in areas related to economic and financial inclusion.
- Assists senior staff with technical assistance activities and responds to requests for information from NLC member cities, state municipal leagues, and other interested parties on issues related to local economic opportunity and financial inclusion efforts.
- Passionate about economic and financial inclusion issues
- Highly skilled writer, including for outreach to city leaders, and web content
- Ability to conduct research online and by phone; Comfortable and assertive oral communicator, including on outreach calls to city staff
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Experience managing contact lists or databases
- Flexible and able to balance multiple priorities
- An interest in or experience with local government a plus
Estimated Salary: $13.25/hour
Deadline: Until filled
National League of Cities