Fields: African American, community development, social change, outreach, racial justice
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
About the Organization: VA Black Leadership Organizing Collaborative (VA BLOC), a Hampton Roads grass roots organization, builds empowered communities through integrated voter engagement, civic involvement, and leadership development.
About the Position: VA BLOC is looking for organizers for our community work in Hampton and Newport News. This is a unique opportunity to work within the community to create sustainable change and Black political power.
- Recruit, train, and empower volunteers to make positive change within the community
- Implement activities including, but not limited to, phonebanks, canvassing, voter registration, training workshops, and public events. Plan and host events to provide opportunities for supporters and members to make change
- Teach about civic issues and systems, including key issue areas of economic opportunity, health care access, education, and voting rights
- Empower people of color to participate in state and local issue initiatives
- Build and maintain relationships within the community
Positions are full-time, salaried, with benefits. Requires a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Must be 18 years old or older. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
- Conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to building sustainable Black political power
- Ability to connect with diverse audiences
- Clear and effective written and spoken communication
- Ability to work well in collaborative environment
- Desire to build within the community
- Previous leadership experience
- Ideal candidates will be highly organized, detail-oriented self-starters.
Estimated Salary: $36,000 – $43,000 salaried, commensurate with experience and negotiable. Health benefits, vacation time, stipends for travel, and more.
Virginia Black Leadership Organizing Collaborative