Fields: refugees, immigrants, social work, job training, faith
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey
About the Organization: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world.
About the Position: The Assistant Case Worker role will work directly with refugees and asylees enrolled in CWS Jersey City’s employment programs address barriers to self-sufficiency. This position will be very hands on with both refugees and other community organizations.
- Problem solve with clients in the community to address barriers to self-sufficiency, which may include navigating public transportation with clients or attending appointments with clients.
- Create comprehensive case plan with client and works together with client to help them meet self-sufficiency goals.
- Assist with basic financial literacy by helping clients set up bank accounts and learn to pay bills on time. Provides one-on-one guidance and information regarding financial responsibilities, budgeting, and short and long term financial planning.
- Work with colleagues, volunteers and key stakeholders in the local community to find secure employment as quickly as possible. Assist with supervising weekly job readiness training sessions run by volunteers.
This is a temporary position that may become permanent depending upon program funding. Occasional evening or weekend hours may be requested by supervisor. A valid driver’s license is required. The candidate will be expected to transport clients in their own vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed) and must have a reliable working car for this purpose.
- High School graduate or equivalent. Some college preferred.
- The successful candidate must have a minimum of 1 year’s previous work experience working with refugees and immigrants, providing familiarity with U.S. refugee and/or immigration issues and terminology.
- A background in case management or social work is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Dari, Pashto, Arabic, or Tigrinya desired.
Estimated Salary: $14/hour
Deadline: Until filled/Not given
Church World Service