Fields: social services, youth, outreach, homeless, mental health
Location: Issaquah, Washington
About the Organization: Founded in 1951, Friends of Youth provides a comprehensive range of shelter, housing, counseling and prevention services for youth and young adults and their families in King and Snohomish Counties in Washington State. Friends of Youth is the primary provider of services for homeless youth and young adults in East King County. Services include street outreach, emergency shelter, transitional living programs, supported permanent housing, employment and mental health support.
About the Position: The Program Coordinator will safely provide enrichment programs for teens ages 13-18. Duties include but are not limited: creating youth empowerment programs collaboratively with staff and teens; supervising group activities by providing guidance and discipline when necessary adhering to and enforcing the Garage’s policies and procedures; maintaining the facility, organizing, and cleaning as needed; responsible for ensuring the safety of the participants in a busy, drop-in setting.
This is a part-time position that will work approximately 12-15 hours per week. Shifts include late afternoon, evening and weekend hours. Additional hours and programming may be added, depending on availability and demand; Flexibility to work additional hours for special events. This position is limited to working 1,040 hours per calendar year.
- Leadership experience working with teens. Some previous experience planning and leading activities with teens in recreation, art, education, physical education, at-risk-youth, or related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of: current trends in youth culture, basic knowledge of youth empowerment methodology, good customer service skills, ethics, and effective teamwork.
- Skilled in: positive teen interactions, patience, listening, prioritizing, multi-tasking, maintaining boundaries, effective public relations, and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to: be committed to providing quality programming based on our mission, vision, and values; safely manage groups of teens; oversee and schedule teen and adult volunteers; learn and enforce department policies and procedures; plan and lead youth empowerment programs in a safe and fun manner; communicate effectively and courteously with the public and Garage staff; proactively deal with safety and behavior concerns; work independently to complete tasks; follow written and verbal instructions; and be receptive to critiques.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license by date of hire and a driving record that meets City standards. Must have or obtain a current First Aid and CPR certification by date of hire.
Estimated Salary: $18/hour, 12-15 hours/week.
Deadline: Not given/Until filled
Friends of Youth, King County