Fields: immigrants, refugees, social work, linguistics, cultural exchange
Location: Buffalo, New York
About the Organization: The mission of the International Institute of Buffalo is to make Western New York a better place for, and because of, immigrants and refugees. Our programs include refugee resettlement, translation and interpreting, immigrant survivor support services, English classes, citizenship classes, international visitor hosting, global education programs, and cultural competency training.
We welcome, connect and empower the foreign born, and encourage the region’s support for different cultures. Our vision is an inclusive multicultural Western New York that embraces all people. We see our role as serving clients and as strenuous advocates for the foreign born. We believe immigrants and refugees are critical to the resurgence of Western New York.
About the Position: The focus of this role is to support the coordination of foreign-language interpreting and document translation services for customers, in a fast-paced and collaborative office setting. This is a customer-service based office role; it does not involve any direct translation or interpreting work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to problem-solve and meet deadlines in a fast-paced business environment. Able to prioritize and follow-up in a timely manner.
- Self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision. Able to work effectively with a team and with management.
- Able to maintain confidentiality; Must adhere to interpreters’ codes of ethics; Social Worker’s Code of Professional Ethics.
- Experience working collaboratively in a team environment and with diverse cultures is preferred.
- Background in interpreting / translation preferred.
- Working knowledge of linguistics or foreign languages preferred.
Estimated Salary: $12.75/hour
Deadline: ASAP / Until filled
International Institute of Buffalo