Fields: education, youth, racial justice, immigrants, communications
Location: Seattle, Washington
About the Organization: The Equity In Education Coalition is a civil rights advocacy organization focused on closing opportunity gaps and improving educational opportunities and outcomes for children of color. We are taking a strategic approach to closing the opportunity gap that takes into account the effects of race, homelessness, racial and institutional discrimination, children and parents whose first language is not English, poverty, and family instability. We are a small team committed to the work of racial equity in the educational system. The office is located inside a beautiful building in a park. Please be aware that there are two small, friendly dogs in our office regularly and this is part of the office environment that candidates should consider before applying.
About the Position: The EEC is looking for a multi-talented individual to participate in a 12-month communications fellowship supporting the EEC’s message development, media engagement, and content creation. The fellow will be supported with a yearlong training program designed to develop skills like talking with the press, writing for the public, and strategically using social media.
The fellowship is a paid, full-time position with a contract through July 2019, with the possibility of a permanent position after that date. The position will work closely with EEC staff, board of directors, and stakeholders to engage the public in a culturally competent, racially conscious dialogue around Washington’s education system. Our goal is to change the conversation on education in Washington State to incorporate race, equity, and the well-being of students of color.
Editor’s note: The pdf suggests the role would be filled by now, but the org made a Facebook post on Tuesday September 4 encouraging people to apply.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: People whom can speak to their lived experience around racial inequity, oppression, and institutional and/or systemic racism are strongly encouraged to apply.
- A commitment to our values [racial justice in education] is the most important qualification for this position, and candidates of all skill levels and experiences are encouraged to apply.
- Solid writing skills and storytelling.
- An interest in politics and education.
- A strong commitment to racial equity and social justice.
- Ability to work collaboratively and organize people.
- Comfort working with a database for advocacy, targeted emails and event sign-up.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to meet and build relationships with stakeholders, press, etc.
- Must have reliable transportation
- Photo and video-editing software is an asset.
- Working knowledge of web design and content production is a plus.
- A great sense of humor; love of dogs; love a variety of foods, cultures, perspectives.
- Bi-Lingual preferred but not necessary.
Estimated Salary: $33,000 – $37,000
Equity in Education Coalition