Fields: government, social services, outreach, housing, urban planning
Location: Seat Pleasant, Maryland
About the Organization: Seat Pleasant is a friendly community located just over the District of Columbia line at its northeast corner. It was designated as the World’s First Authentic Small Smart City in 2017. The population of Seat Pleasant, MD (4,721 people) is 86.3% Black, 11.6% Hispanic, and 1.17% White. 6.22% of the people in Seat Pleasant, MD speak a non-English language, and 92.8% are U.S. citizens. We are located on the Metro’s Blue line, served by two stations: Addison Road-Seat Pleasant and Capitol Heights.
Recognizing that most Americans live in smaller communities, Seat Pleasant envisions not only becoming the first small municipality to embrace Smarter City concepts for the benefit of its constituents, but also becoming the first to employ a shared services model to extend these benefits to neighboring communities in a business model which could eventually scale across the county, the state, and even nation-wide. Seat Pleasant is joining other Smart Cities who use data and technology to improve outcomes in security, safety, resilience, and social services. What makes Seat Pleasant unique is that we are a small municipality with the bold vision to deliver services that were previously limited to much larger cities at a fraction of the cost and thus eliminating the main barrier to entry for small municipalities (e.g. affordability). Read more on this here.
About the Position: Creating, planning, coordinating, managing, and implementing human services and community outreach programs and the; publicizing human services efforts and programs; preparing and maintaining appropriate records and files.
EXAMPLES OF WORK [see link for complete list]
- Maintains communications with citizens, community and religious organizations, and government agencies involved with public engagement
- Reach out to community leaders, institutions, businesses and others on a regular basis.
- Initiate conversations with residents about various topics, such as their interest in securing employment, the quality of current situations, and plans for the future.
- Conduct outreach to residents in order to promote engagement and inclusiveness within the community in programs, events and services.
- Inform residents about employment, training, education and economic development opportunities.
- Develop and conduct surveys to build a strong understanding of community priorities.
- Develop strategies for creating an environment that encourages work and engagement in the community.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Social Services, Management, Psychology, Event Planning, Community Engagement or related field;
- supplemented by two (2) years of progressively knowledgeable and skilled experience in the operation of a personal computer with standard software applications and in office assistance and administrative support work;
- or any equivalent combination or education, training, and experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of citizen services and community and social service agencies;
- thorough knowledge of human relations and counseling;
- ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, subordinates, and citizens;
- comprehensive knowledge of government policies and procedures;
- enthusiastic advocate of local government and human services;
- diplomatic conflict resolution;
- ability to communicate complex ideas.
Estimated Salary: $38,000 – $40,000
Deadline: Not given
City of Seat Pleasant, Maryland