Fields: science, education, youth, outreach,
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
About the Organization: Science Central is a regional resource that provides inspiring and fun hands-on science education for all people of all ages. Why is Science Central important to the Fort Wayne community? Sure, it’s a fun place to bring the kids when the weather is rotten. But at its core, Science Central is much, much more than just a place to play. Science Central is a catalyst for learning, and it’s a catalyst for learning the most important subjects that employers will need our kids to know to perform work in the future – science, technology, engineering and math. Careers in STEM are among the fastest growing fields in the nation. However, the United States is trailing behind the rest of the world when it comes to preparing students for success in these fields.
About the Position: Involvement with informal, hands-on, educational science center programs (physical, natural and applied sciences); assist in the development and presentation of public, school, scout and special programs; audiences include schools, teachers, community centers, scout groups, families, etc; programs will be done both on-site and out in the community; programs include demonstrations, exhibit interpretation, classes/labs, science camps, birthday parties, outreaches, evening events, etc. Part-time; variable hours each week; schedule will include weekends, holidays and evenings; must be flexible. Note that this is not temporary, seasonal employment.
- College science/education/etc. strongly classes recommended;
- must have experience in public speaking and/or teaching;
- experience in the informal science education field preferred.
- Be incredibly prepared and flexible;
- very responsible and organized, time- and detail-oriented;
- be creative; comfort with and interest in science and education;
- comfortable working with audiences of all sizes/ ages/backgrounds, outgoing, energetic, enthusiastic;
- professional in attitude and appearance;
- do moderate lifting (approx. 40 lbs.)
Estimated Salary: $9/hour, increased to $10/hour after 6-month probationary period; limited time-off benefits.
Note: Living wage in Fort Wayne, IN is estimated at $10.18/hour according to MIT