Fields: food justice, poverty, communications, design, photoshop
Location: NYC, New York
About the Organization: WhyHunger is a leader in building the movement to end hunger and poverty by connecting people to nutritious, affordable food and by supporting grassroots solutions that inspire self-reliance and community empowerment.
About the Position: WhyHunger is seeking a creative, motivated and committed intern to assist the Communications Department in implementing strategic communications initiatives at a thriving global non-profit. Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Intern will gain hands on experience in implementing strategic communications, including online marketing, social media, media relations, writing and editing articles, outreach campaigns and general communications projects. A valued and supported member of the team, the Communications Intern will have real responsibilities and impact, alongside the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of communications in the non-profit setting. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, please apply early.
- Assist with planning, execution and evaluation of social media strategy; creation and distribution of regular e-newsletters
- Collaborate with program staff to gather stories, images and quotes from our grassroots partners; Draft and edit creative content including articles, graphics and promotional materials for use across various platforms
- Assist with planning and outreach activities for Hungerthon campaign and events
- Assist with managing a photo sharing library and WhyHunger’s blog
- Assist member of the team with follow up and general office duties as needed
- Experience in communications, journalism, graphic design or comparable skills; Experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and storytelling
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Basic graphic design skills and ability to learn new technologies; Website (WordPress), Constant Contact, Google Analytics, Photoshop and video editing experience a plus
- A commitment to social justice and an interest in hunger, poverty and food justice
Estimated Salary: $13/hour, 20 hours/3 days weekly
Deadline: Until filled
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com