Fields: faith, international relations, human rights, youth, peacebuilding
About the Organization: The American Islamic Congress is a non-religious, civic society organization that provides an alternative Muslim voice for the promotion of civil and human rights through advocacy, engagement, and education. Project Nur is a student-led initiative advocating for social justice by empowering responsible leaders to cultivate an environment of acceptance and mutual respect between Muslims and all communities.The purpose of Project Nur is to empower groups of students to address difficult humanitarian, political, and rights-based issues on their campuses, building bridges between Muslims and non-Muslims.
About the Position: The Project Nur Program Coordinator will report to AIC’s Executive Director and the Project Nur Program Manager. S/he will work with AIC staff, contractors, consultants and partners to ensure timely performance of AIC projects and/or any other work as directed by AIC’s Executive Director and Program Manager. This is a full-time position from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, plus occasional evenings and weekends, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus on International Relations, Intercultural Studies, Communications or Journalism is highly preferred
- 1-3 years experience in project / development coordination, program coordination and/or outreach coordination
- Experience with student activism and youth work; Event planning, promotion, and implementation
- Strong interpersonal/inter-cultural communication skills and the ability to build and cultivate strong partnerships
- Discretion, flexibility, the ability to deal with and negotiate conflict effectively and with a sense of humor
- Human rights advocacy experience highly desirable
- Willing to travel within the United States
Estimated Salary: $32,000 – $40,000.
Note: The lower end of the salary is LESS than the living wage for this area.
Deadline: Until filled
American Islamic Congress