Fields: social work, housing, homeless, mental health, poverty
About the Organization: HOUSING UP is one of the leading non-profit organizations in Washington DC providing the full spectrum of housing and supportive services to more than 500 homeless and at-risk families so that they can transform their own lives. Housing programs include permanent supportive, rapid rehousing, transitional, and affordable rental housing. Supportive services include case management, employment services, clinical services, housing counseling, resident services, life skills and youth programming.
Housing Up has been providing Family Rehousing Stabilization Programs to families for almost a decade. In that time, our skilled case managers have helped hundreds of families leave the shelter, obtain their own apartment, and become more self-sufficient. Over the past three years, 96% of Housing Up families have not returned to the system for shelter or services after exiting our FRSP program. We are expanding our program again and are looking for people who are passionate about access to affordable housing. If you are excited about helping even more families though this Program, then WE WANT YOU!
About the Position: The Rapid Rehousing Case Manager is responsible for providing home-based case management services for families experiencing homelessness who are rehoused in apartments throughout the District. The primary goal is to assist families in addressing the barriers to maintaining permanent housing using a strengths-based, Housing First approach. Functions performed include housing location, family goal planning, connection to community resources, home visits, rental payment monitoring, landlord engagement, and problem solving with other Case Managers. Work is accomplished by advising and motivating program participants to accomplish goals in their Family Service Plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in a human services field
- Strongly preferred: Experience working with families, homelessness, mental health, and/or substance abuse that reflects an understanding of the causes of homelessness
- Working knowledge of the strengths-based, client-centered approach; Knowledge of community resources available to families
- Demonstrated cultural competence; Possess and maintain a positive, solution-oriented approach
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills; Excellent listening and problem-solving
- Ability to be flexible, adapt and adjust to rapid change within a fast-paced and growth-oriented environment; High confidence level in working independently
- Must be willing to travel to different locations throughout Washington DC and perform home visits in any neighborhood; Valid driver’s license and vehicle is required, as well as proof of auto insurance
- Requires ability to sit up to 3-6 hours per day with intermittent occasional walking and standing
- Housing Up office hours are 9am-5pm, but case managers are expected to adjust their schedules to accommodate family case management and perform visits on evenings and weekends as needed; Must be available to participate in after hours on-call rotation, as well as be on call during inclement weather
Estimated Salary: $42,000 – $45,000
Deadline: Not given