Fields: politics, campaigns, progressive, policy, outreach
About the Organization: As the largest, most diverse generation in our country’s history, young people have more power than ever to decide our future. It’s Rock the Vote’s mission to ensure they exercise that power by participating in the democratic process – and we need your help! We are a 501(c)(3) organization based out of Washington, DC that is committed to voting rights and equal access for each American at the ballot box.
About the Position: Rock the Vote is seeking smart, energetic, passionate, and enthusiastic candidates to join our Washington, DC office as an Intern for Fall 2018. This is a paid position. Interns will be expected to work approximately 30 hours per week. We are seeking a diverse applicant pool with experience/interest in any of the following areas: Research and public policy; Voting rights and social justice issues; Civic engagement and partnerships; Marketing and events; Campaigns and elections.
Each intern’s responsibilities will be developed based on their experience, interests, and organizational need, and may include any combination of the following:
- Drafting press releases, statements, emails, fact sheets, and press kit materials;
- Blogging about timely and relevant political issues;
- Assisting to develop creative activations/programs that support Rock the Vote’s mission;
- Coordinating voter education with partner organizations;
- Developing and maintaining a variety of resources to engage and educate young people about elections and voting rights issues;
- Supporting the civic technology program by researching and outreaching to strategic partners and evaluating tools for needed improvements;
- Creating descriptive and creative ads to improve our SEO;
- Updating Rock the Vote’s website and building new web pages;
- Inventorying Rock the Vote’s art assets to maximize content creation and distribution;
- Expanding Rock the Vote’s volunteer program to ensure we are maximizing impact and adding capacity to our team;
- Managing constituency communications, including fielding questions about registration and election deadlines and processes;
- Additional duties as needed.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: Our ideal candidate is a top performer who brings high levels of energy and enthusiasm, works well independently and with diverse teams, and has a demonstrated ability to take initiative and lead projects. Qualifications should include:
- Strong critical thinking skills;
- Self-starter who can collaborate actively with other team members;
- Leadership and achievement in academic, professional, extracurricular, or volunteer settings;
- The ability to work effectively with diverse team members and communities;
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, fast learner, and can multitask;
- Good humored, independent, and flexible (creativity helps too!);
- An affinity for youth civic engagement;
- Passionate about Rock the Vote’s mission and goals.
In your application, please make a special note if you have experience with:
- Journalism, communications, and/or public relations;
- Elections and/or campaigns;
- Research and/or policy;
- Video production;
- Event planning and/or fundraising;
- Developing and/or setting up new projects and programs;
Estimated Salary: $13.25/hour, 30 hours/week
Apply Here: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references. If there are any writing samples or a portfolio you would like to include, you may attach them to your application. Please include “Fall 2018 Intern” in the subject line and indicate (1) your earliest possible start date and (2) the number of hours/week you are available in the body of the email.