Fields: journalism, politics, media, communications, outreach
About the Organization: Media Matters for America is a Web-based, not-for-profit progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media. Conservative misinformation is defined as news or commentary presented in the media that is not accurate, reliable, or credible and that forwards the conservative agenda.
About the Position: Interns will participate in an internship that runs from late August/early September through late December of 2018. The Fall internship program requires 24-32 hours per week. The American Prospect will assist in arranging for academic or work-study credit whenever possible.
- Compile daily press clips, monitor and collect press hits, outreach campaigns, and other examples of our successes to keep tabs on the ongoing impact of Media Matters’ work.
- Help maintain database of reporter distribution lists and update contact information. As directed, the Communications Intern will help identify reporters to add to existing lists and help generate new media lists in order to advance organizational goals.
- Aid in long-term research projects for members of the Communications Department.
- Support day-to-day operations of the Communications Department as needed – this could include but is not limited to: drafting pitch emails, making pitch phone calls, and assisting in the drafting of press releases, media advisories and Op-eds.
- Provide data collection support to the monitoring teams
- Monitor TV, radio broadcasting, and other news outlets and alert teams to misinformation, and inflammatory comments, or smears
- Summarize and flag emerging misinformation in print and online media
- Aid in long-term research and data projects
Special Requirements/Qualifications: All interested applicants are encouraged to apply; The ideal candidate will have/be…
- Junior or senior in college, preferably pursuing degree in journalism, politics, public policy, or related field
- nterest in media and understanding of the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate
- Ability to quickly synthesize information about new topics; Ability to adapt to new technologies and systems quickly and effectively
- Understanding of 24-hour news cycle and how to identify elements with viral potential
- Deep knowledge of current political and policy issues and current media landscape
Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to work both as a part of a team and independently
Estimated Salary: $1,500/month, 24-32 hours/week. This works out to $11.72 – $15.63 per hour.
Deadline: Not given / ASAP
Media Matters for America