Fields: human rights, law, advocacy, communications, marketing
Location: NYC, New York
About the Organization: Amnesty International is a global movement of millions of people demanding human rights for all people – no matter who they are or where they are. We are the world’s largest grassroots human rights organization. We work to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth, and dignity are denied.
The Public Affairs Department of AIUSA connects the work of individuals and communities all around the United States on key social, political and economic issues facing communities with the global human rights movement. The Events team is responsible for the organization and execution of Amnesty’s events. Events include but are not limited to AIUSA’s Annual General Meeting (national conferences) and Regional Conferences.
About the Position: Our internship provides an opportunity for interns to see first-hand the inner workings of a grassroots advocacy organization, as well as creatively participate in projects alongside staff members. Interns will have an opportunity to work closely with the Events Team to organize and implement all aspects of successful event planning and execution, including:
- Execute key event logistics during the weeks leading up to the day of the event;
- Assist in the onsite execution of conferences, speaker-panels, and other AIUSA events
- Support with project management of each event by monitoring timelines
- Support preparation for event registration; Prepare invitations for attendees
- Support in producing language for internal and external marketing purposes: Draft webpage content; Create event app content
- Organize and finalize hotel and travel accommodations for speakers and staff;
- Support in coordination of AV/Catering details for all events
- Develop creative ideas for new and existing AIUSA events for the benefit of the whole organization.
- Learn about the process of proposing, planning and implementing projects within a large organization
The internship will be for the Fall of 2018 from September 4th – December 6th.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: We hold interns to professional standards and give preference to candidates who are not only passionate about human rights work but also take initiative and are open and willing to work hard on anything that is needed to support AIUSA’s mission. Additional criteria:
- Strong writing and proofreading skills; Keen attention to detail is required
- Commitment to and interest in human rights and social justice
- Motivated and able to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Able to handle high priority projects and navigate under tight deadlines; Well organized and ability to multitask efficiently
- Be flexible to unexpected changes and able to efficiently problem solve; Able to problem solve and show flexibility around days leading to an event
- Professionalism, positive attitude and creativity
- Graphic design skills are a plus
- Previous events experience is required – including involvement in community and/or campus activities
Estimated Salary: $15/hr, 35 hours/week
Amnesty International USA