Fields: women’s rights, racial justice, gender, politics, advocacy
Location: Remote, Oregon
About the Organization: Family Forward Oregon and Family Forward Action are public policy and advocacy nonprofit organizations that fight for the economic justice for women and caregivers. We believe that caring for our children, our parents, and others in need of care is a not only a fundamental principle of a civilized society, but a fundamental part of our economy – and the lack of value for the work of caring for others is one of the root causes of large-scale gender and racial inequities. We work for systemic change by:
- 1) shifting cultural attitudes about women, work and care;
- 2) organizing people to fight for a more fair system;
- 3) advocating for bold public policies — like paid sick days, paid family and medical leave, a higher minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, and affordable childcare.
About the Position: We are seeking two Regional Organizers, who will be responsible for executing regional aspects of our statewide organizing program and ensuring that it meets organizational goals. We are building a new organizing program, one that will combine elements of transformational and power-based organizing, and that will involve more mothers and other caregivers in grassroots systems of change and political work. The Regional Organizers will work within their communities to identify supporters, activists, and cultivate activist leaders who are prepared to engage on Family Forward’s issues. The Regional Organizers will build a strong base of support among mothers and other caregivers in their region who are trained, engaged, and motivated to advocate as grassroots lobbyists. The new organizing program will be heavily focused on volunteer leadership development. Regional Organizers will report to the Organizing Director and will work closely with the other members of the Organizing Team. There may be an opportunity to supervise teams of Fellows/Interns.
Family Forward is a feminist organization committed to racial and gender justice. It is critical that the Regional Organizer understands and is able to communicate about systems of oppression and experience organizing groups across race and class is preferred. If you are looking for an opportunity to impact the lives of women and families, we are eager to meet you. We are open to negotiating number of hours for either position.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: We are seeking a passionate, fun, dynamic, leader and collaborator who can help us take Family Forward’s organizing program to the next level. Desired qualifications include:
- Knowledge of how race, class and gender oppression impact the women we organize.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a multi-racial environment.
- Background in organizing, advocacy campaigns, and/or politics; Experience working with volunteers and moving others to action.
- Experience working with and organizing women of color.
- Experience working with mothers and other caregivers, and a deep understanding of how the demands of caregiving impact women’s lives.
- Experience building leaders and deepening the engagement of members and volunteers.
- Experience working remotely.
- Confident, friendly, professional, resourceful and helpful. Willing to take on small or large tasks, and to try new things
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment — taking initiative and also knowing when to seek help.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Fluency in Spanish helpful.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with the VAN, Google programs, video conferencing technology and CRM platforms.
Requirements: Available for evening and weekend activities; Willingness to travel as needed to other parts of Oregon and occasionally out-of-state for meetings or training opportunities; Access to reliable transportation.
People of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this position but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Estimated Salary: $35,000 – $40,000 full-time equivalent (pro-rated depending on number of hours FTE) + benefits
Family Forward Oregon