Fields: urban planning, sustainability, data analysis, statistics, international development
Location: DC, NYC
About the Organization: The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, cycling and walking, travel demand management, parking, transport policy, shared mobility, and urban development.
About the Position: The Research Group under ITDP’s Global Programs is seeking an intern to be based in the Washington, D.C. office. The major goals of the Research Group are to monitor progress on sustainable transportation and to translate research into easily understandable information that leads to better decision making by government officials. The intern will support these efforts through data collection and cleaning, literature reviews, and analysis. The Intern will report to the Global Research Manager and will work with staff across all ITDP offices. Internship dates are September 17, 2018- May 31, 2019 with a possibility for an extension; internship is a minimum of 20 hours per week to a max of 36 hours per week depending on intern’s schedule.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate program in urban planning, engineering, geography, or related field
- Interest in cities, sustainable transportation, urban planning, or related areas
- Proficiency in GIS
- High proficiency in Excel
- Statistical analysis and SPSS experience a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, or Portuguese a plus
$300 per week for a 20-hour week, up to $540 per week for a 36-hour week.
About the Position: ITDP is seeking an Intern to work in the New York office across departments and on a variety of projects. The intern will report to the Director, Global and U.S. Initiatives and work closely with all members of the team. The internship is available immediately; must be able to work two days per week in our New York office (15 hours per week) and commit through the end of December 2018 with a potential option to extend through Spring 2019; hours are flexible between 9:30 am and 6 pm.
- Conduct research on sustainable transport best practices and policies worldwide
- Conduct literature reviews and outreach to cities and academics to gather data
- Assist the Global, Mobilize, U.S. and Africa program in data entry, GIS mapping, creation of surveys and other tasks, as needed
- Assist with web and social media updates, as needed; Assist with event planning, as needed
- Assist with production of donor communications and grant reporting
- Current undergraduate or graduate student or recent college grad with interest or experience in international development, sustainable transportation, urban planning or a related field
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Database experience
- Adobe Design Suite experience
- HTML, CMS Platform experience a plus
- Additional language skills a plus
$225 per week for a 15-hour week.
Estimated Salary: $15/hour in both locations.