Fields: computer science, statistics, data analysis, correctional system, SQL
Location: Queens, NYC
About the Organization: The Fortune Society’s mission is to support successful re-entry from prison and promote alternatives to incarceration, thus strengthening the fabric of our communities. We do this by: BELIEVING in the power of individuals to change; BUILDING LIVES through service programs shaped by the needs and experiences of our clients; CHANGING MINDS through education and advocacy that work to rectify unjust and brutal criminal justice policies.
Drawing upon the life experience of Fortune’s formerly incarcerated staff and clients, we offer a holistic, “one-stop” model which includes: alternatives to incarceration, counseling, career development, education, housing services, HIV/AIDS-case management, substance abuse treatment, family services, and lifetime aftercare, among other services.
About the Position: This intern initiative will provide the candidate with real world hands on experience while learning and mastering Microsoft (T-SQL) programming language in a professional setting while gaining nonprofit organizational experience.
This position is an ongoing position and may begin at any point in time, no restriction to school semesters, and additional hours may be approved during breaks. It is expected that the newly hired intern will get up to speed fairly quickly and perform in a productive manner of his/her assigned tasks after periodic monthly reviews. The Junior Database Developer Intern will have flexibility to schedule their work hours during Fortune’s business work day/week and the possibility to work from second office location in Harlem. Position is primarily located at our Long Island City office, no additional travel is expected nor required. Qualified interns will be considered for hiring to a fulltime employment position.
- Enrolled as a full/part-time student in Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree program, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, MIS, and/or Data Analytics related field.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL (T-SQL) DML, DDL programming skills; create/analyze database objects such as stored procedures, views, user-defined functions, triggers, constraints etc. May be knowledgeable from any Microsoft SQL Server (T-SQL) version [6.5|7|2000|2005|2012|2014|2016] with ability to learn and master.
- Understanding of using a reporting engine; such as SQL Server SSRS (preferable), Tableau, Crystal, and Access with ability to learn.
- Familiarity using a version control system such as TFS, Confluence, GIT, and Microsoft Source Safe with ability to learn.
Knowledge of the following are “nice to have” but not required:
- Any technical certifications; Microsoft, Oracle, database related, OS, A+, Net+, etc.
- Knowledge of SQL Server versions 2005-2016, with an understanding of T-SQL changes and improvements; any administration on any server platform including Azure.
- Non-relational database systems such as MongoDB/NoSQL or any non-relational document based database system.
- Experience of data manipulation in Microsoft Excel, using Pivot tables, Cross tabs, Cubes, and/or providing graphical representation of raw data.
- Agile development experience utilizing systems such as JIRA, Kanban and monthly Sprints.
- Web Services, IIS, RESTful, SOAP, XML/XSLT Transformations.
- ESB Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) or Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) technologies such as Neuron ESB, Oracle, Mule Soft, or other technologies.
- Any medical knowledge/experience; EDI, HL7 v2/3, CCD, and/or FHIR.
- Background in statistical analysis and/or data management.
- Any experience in nonprofit social service setting.
Estimated Salary: $15-20/hour, 15+ hours per week, flexible
Deadline: ASAP/Not given
The Fortune Society