Fields: labor, immigrants, civil-rights, civic-engagement, campaigns
About the Organization: Founded in 1992, the Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA), AFL-CIO is the first and only national organization of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) union members and allies advancing worker, immigrant, and civil rights.
About the Position: APALA seeks a creative, strategic, and passionate advocate for economic justice and AAPI worker equity. The Program Coordinator will be essential to managing programs to advance APALA’s mission. The Program Coordinator will report to the Program Manager and work closely with the Executive Director, National Executive Board (NEB), APALA chapter leaders, and other APALA staff. This position is based in Washington, D.C. Flexibility is required: Nights and weekends including travel may be required during busy times before major events (usually 1-2 times a year) or during election season.
This role will have high-level exposure to an exciting world of labor organizing, community advocacy, and nonprofit coalitions, and will have a chance to significantly drive APALA’s overall direction, program, and productivity.
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Asian American/Pacific Islander community.
- Relevant experience of program implementation and/or grassroots issue campaigns (internships applicable towards experience).
- Demonstrated experience and passion working in low-income, working class, and communities of color around social, economic, and racial justice.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a relatable and persuasive communicator/organizer with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Nice to have but not necessary:
- Experience in economic justice or labor organizations
- Experience organizing in civic engagement campaigns, especially in voter registration and voter turnout efforts.
- Experience working in a local or state-based organizations
- Experience working in coalitions
Estimated Salary: Entry level $43,000-$45,000, 1-3 experience: $48,000-$52,000
● Fully paid health, vision, dental insurances
● Fully paid life, short-term, and long-term disability insurances.
● 10 days of paid leave in addition to all federal holidays, and office closure last two weeks of the year.
● Flexible telework and alternative work schedule policies.
● Retirement: up to 5% employer matching contribution
● Monthly cell phone and transit stipend.
Deadline: Rolling, first review of resumes August 6
Apply Here: Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance