Fields: labor, immigrants, civil rights, civic engagement, campaigns
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada OR Washington, DC
About the Organization: Founded in 1992, the Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA), AFL-CIO is the first and only national organization of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) union members and allies advancing worker, immigrant, and civil rights.
About the Position: The Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA), AFL-CIO is seeking two Civic Engagement Fellows to help our team execute our Every Vote Counts electoral program. The anticipated start date is late Summer 2018 with an end-date of November 30, 2018.
The Civic Engagement Fellows will be essential to the success of our field programs this election cycle. The Civic Engagement Fellows will report to the Program Manager and work closely with the Executive Director, APALA chapter leaders, and other APALA staff. There is one position based in Washington, D.C. and one position based in Las Vegas, Nevada. Nights and weekends will be required. This role will have high-level exposure to an exciting world of labor organizing, community advocacy, and nonprofit coalitions, and will have a chance to significantly drive APALA’s overall direction, program, and productivity.
- Experience organizing in civic engagement campaigns, especially in voter registration and voter turnout efforts.
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Asian American/Pacific Islander community.
- Demonstrated passion working in low-income, working class, and communities of color around social, economic, and racial justice.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a relatable and persuasive communicator/organizer with excellent interpersonal skills.
Nice to have but not necessary:
- Experience in economic justice or labor organizations
- Experience working in a local or state-based organizations
- Experience working in coalitions
- Experience with voter technology like Voter Activation Network, Hustle
Estimated Salary: $17.00/hour, weekly maximum of 40 hours. Benefits include a monthly cell phone and transit stipend.
Deadline: Rolling, first review of resumes August 7
Apply Here: Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance