Fields: arts, women, gender, humanities, writing
Location: Rosendale, New York
About the Organization: Women’s Studio Workshop envisions a society where women’s visual art is integral to the cultural mainstream and permanently recorded in history. Our mission is to operate and maintain an artists’ workspace that encourages the voice and vision of individual women artists, provides professional opportunities for artists at various stages of their careers, and promotes programs designed to stimulate public involvement, awareness, and support for the visual arts.
About the Position: The Arts Writer will participate in all aspects of Women’s Studio Workshop, including WSW events, which can take place on evenings and weekends. In addition to writing and managing WSW’s blog, the Arts Writer will participate in WSW’s marketing team by attending weekly meetings, posting artist-related content across social media and through email, and engaging critically with staff and artists about art and artistic representation. This is a full time, exempt position with a one-year contract. There is a possibility of contract extension or permanent hire at the end of the first year.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: The successful candidate will be a thoughtful writer who is engaged in the visual arts, has a deep interest in women’s issues and a visionary approach to the ways in which these converge.
• Possesses a major or minor in Art History or Visual Arts and has knowledge of contemporary art
• Eager to engage critically with artists and produce one artist feature per week
• Experienced in writing about visual arts and passionate about elevating the quality of art writing online
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
• Comfortable taking direction from more than one editor/manager and eager to improve as a writer with each and every blog
• Familiarity with the artistic disciplines offered by WSW (printmaking, papermaking, ceramics, darkroom photography, and book arts)
• Knowledge of Adobe Suite, MailChimp, Salesforce, WordPress, and/or social media platforms
Estimated Salary: $30,000 annual salary, 2 weeks paid vacation, ~2.5 weeks paid vacation for WSW’s winter break, and generous sick time. Healthcare stipend and a private, studio apartment on WSW’s campus ($700/mo) are available
Deadline: August 15, 2018
Apply Here: https://bit.ly/2L2Z1ik