Fields: housing, public health, social justice, community mobilization, law
Location: Austin Texas
Details and Requirements: The outreach worker is part of the Building and Strengthening Tenant Action (“BASTA”) project team to support low-income Austin residents’ ability to access safe, decent, and affordable housing through a variety of modes of advocacy, including education, litigation and empowerment strategies.
• Visiting substandard properties and educate residents on their legal right to live in healthy housing, the steps they can take to get the property owners to make repairs, and the effects slum housing has on their health.
• Help residents document substandard conditions and needed repairs.
• Assist residents in requesting repairs, meeting with property managers, and reporting substandard conditions, as needed, to code enforcement. Monitor responsiveness and follow up as needed.
• Document outreach activities and compile data to track outcomes and efficacy of the project.
• All other duties assigned
• Bilingual in English and Spanish.
• Dedication to economic, social and racial justice.
• Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of people, including residents and property owners.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends.
• Vehicle and driver’s license.
• Previous outreach, community engagement, and community organizing experience.
• Knowledge of housing issues and/or landlord-tenant law.
• Personal experience with low-income housing.
Apply Here: Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com