Fields: refugees, law, LGBTQ, HIV, immigrants
Location: NYC, New York
About the Organization: Immigration Equality has a dual focus of direct representation and impact work. We work with LGBTQ and HIV-positive asylum seekers, detained individuals, and binational couples, answering more than 3,500 hotline calls and representing more than 600 individual litigants each year. We also engage in impact litigation to protect the interests of our community. We helped end the HIV travel ban, led the successful fight to secure green cards for LGBTQ families, and have directly represented more than 1,000 LGBTQ asylum seekers.
About the Position: Immigration Equality is seeking an enthusiastic paralegal/legal assistant to provide administrative support to our legal staff in New York City. This position presents an excellent opportunity for an individual who is considering law school.
- Must have an undergraduate or advanced degree
- Must be organized and detail oriented; Must multitask well.
- Must have a sincere commitment and interest in advocating for equality for LGBT/HIV-positive people under U.S. immigration law
- Spanish fluency is required (spoken; written and reading comprehension). Fluency in French is a plus.
- Immigrants, transgender people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply
Estimated Salary: $45,000. Excellent benefits, including full health insurance coverage, dental and vision, 401(k) plan, long-term disability insurance, and four weeks of vacation annually.
Deadline: Until filled