Fields: law, social justice, poverty, outreach, communications
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
About the Organization: Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS) is the oldest and largest pro bono legal services organization in Maryland. The mission of MVLS is to provide quality civil legal services to Marylanders of limited means at low or no cost. MVLS provides civil legal help including expungement, family law (divorce, custody, adoption), tax controversy issues, housing issues (foreclosure, tax sale, estate planning and administration).
About the Position: This position includes community outreach to potential clients and building relationships with community partners. Communications duties include social media and website content management as well as interest and skill in introductory graphic design. The Coordinator’s responsibilities include working closely with MVLS management, staff and volunteers to increase the organization’s visibility, to promote and build relationships within the communities we serve and to communicate the breadth of our programs to underserved communities. The Coordinator also will attend community events, prepare informational materials such as flyers and be responsible for updating our website and social media outlets with a focus on targeting individuals who are eligible for services through MVLS. Some evening and weekend hours required. Routine statewide travel required, though primarily in Central Maryland. Valid driver’s license and reliable car essential.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university
- 1-3 years’ communications and/or outreach experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills essential; Ability to draft clear written content for use on our website, social media and print materials
- Experience with social media campaigns and with website editing and copy development. Must be detail oriented and able to manage organization and distribution of a variety of outreach materials.
- Client-centered customer service skills are essential to success in this position; Able to confidently communicate with diverse audiences. Team player able to work with staff, volunteer lawyers and community partners.
- Demonstrated commitment to underserved communities/experience with nonprofits and/or legal services is a strong plus.
- Graphic design skills preferred with experience in Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator).
- Experience with email marketing platforms like Constant Contact a plus.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
Estimated Salary: $30,000 – $40,000 plus benefits
Deadline: January 25, 2019
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service