Fields: urban planning, government, policy, law, statistics
Location: PortlandOR, Oregon
About the Organization: The Portland Bureau of Transportation is a community partner in shaping a livable city. We plan, build, manage and maintain an effective and safe transportation system that provides people and businesses access and mobility. We keep Portland moving.
The Resources and Legislative team works within the Office of the Director on fund development and intergovernmental projects with bureau-wide and city-wide impacts. The team is responsible for developing and maintaining transportation funding from federal, state, and local sources and managing state, regional and federal legislative policy development for the bureau. This team helps to secure millions of dollars and ensure that state and federal laws support city of Portland transportation system goals to help people get where they need to go reliably, safely, equitably, and sustainably.
About the Position: Are you proud of your research skills and attention to detail? Do you love learning about new laws that are being developed? If so, you may be the Management Assistant that we are looking for! The Research and Projects Assistant will support this fast-paced team with research and assistance on a variety of projects. Duties include:
- Reviewing proposed state and federal legislation, providing initial analysis and coordinating further reviews with subject matter experts within the bureau
- Tracking key funding deadlines, researching potential funding sources, and monitor ing state and regional decision-making bodies to identify funding and policy opportunities
- Helping monitor community stakeholder feedback on proposed state, regional and federal policies and identifying opportunities to incorporate community perspectives into PBOTs policy development.
- Providing general team assistance through meeting scheduling and note taking, support in coordinating bureau participation in national organizations and other duties as assigned.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: An ideal candidate will have strong communication skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities and jump in to help the dynamic team that works on a variety of special projects. Experience interpreting and explaining policy/laws is desired.
- Experience researching and evaluating data in either statistical or narrative form and summarizing findings for a diverse audience
- Experience communicating effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and explain relevant laws, regulations, and ordinances.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize workload
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders such as bureau managers and staff, community stakeholders, and others.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Experience researching laws and ordinances
- Experience with Transportation laws/policies
Estimated Salary: $52,707 – $81,162 plus benefits
Deadline: December 23, 2018 11:59 PM
City of Portland Bureau of Transportation