Fields: rural, arts, humanities, education, media
Location: Whitesburg, Kentucky
About the Organization: Since 1969, Appalshop (based in Whitesburg, KY) has distinguished itself as central Appalachia’s anchor arts and humanities training center. Our mission is to enlist the power of education, media, theater, music, and other arts:
- to document, disseminate, and revitalize the lasting traditions and contemporary creativity of Appalachia;
- to tell stories the commercial cultural industries don’t tell, challenging stereotypes with Appalachian voices and visions;
- to support communities’ efforts to achieve justice and equity and solve their own problems in their own ways;
- to celebrate cultural diversity as a positive social value;
- to participate in regional, national, and global dialogue toward these ends.
Appalshop is made up of: Appalshop Archive, Appalshop Films, Roadside Theater, Community Media Initiative, June Appal Recordings, WMMT-FM Community Radio, and the Appalachian Media Institute.
About the Position: Appalshop, Inc. is seeking an experienced, dynamic administrative team member primarily working with senior staff. To be successful in this role, you should be proactive, meet deadlines and communicate effectively. As our Executive Assistant, you’ll become part of Appalshop’s 50-year legacy of enacting cultural organizing and place-based media, arts, and education to document the life, celebrate the culture, and voice the concerns of people living in Appalachia and rural America. Job duties include: Executive Management, Finance, Community Partnerships and Public Relations. The Executive Assistant is a year-round, salaried, permanent, full-time position with full benefits.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: It is preferred, but not required, that applicants have at least two years of college experience (a Bachelor’s degree or higher). Preferably, applicants will have at least 2+ years experience in non-profits. Applicants who are from central Appalachia are encouraged to apply.
Estimated Salary: $30,000-$35,000 plus benefits
Deadline: Until filled