Fields: human rights, gender, women’s rights, immigrants, social work
Location: Falls Church, Virginia
About the Organization: The Tahirih Justice Center is a non-profit that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity.
About the Position: Tahirih Justice Center is seeking to hire a part-time (20 hours per week) Social Work Intern. We seek an outgoing and empathetic professional to be based out of our Falls Church, VA office. This role will require a high degree of emotional intelligence and discretion to support immigrant women and girls fleeing gender-based violence. This position will work in tandem with the Social Services Program Manager to provide holistic trauma-informed support to our clients.
- Advanced written and oral French or Spanish
- Previous experience working with a multi-lingual, multi-cultural population
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of creativity and perseverance in identifying solutions
- Basic understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence, violence against women, and immigration policies in the U.S.
Estimated Salary: $15/hour, 20 hours/week
Deadline: Until filled
Tahirih Justice Center