Fields: law, immigrants, refugees, latinos, Spanish
Location: Los Angeles, California
About the Organization: The Immigrant Defenders Law Center (“ImmDef”) is a next-generation, social justice law firm that provides high-quality representation and legal services to immigrants in Southern California. Our staff is comprised of advocates and activists from the immigrant rights community who collectively have decades of experience fighting for the rights of immigrants in Southern California and beyond. Our organization was founded with the belief that no immigrant should be forced to go into court alone, and we see our universal representation programs for unaccompanied children and adults with serious mental disorders as a first step towards that goal.
About the Position: Due to a recent expansion in our funding, ImmDef is currently seeking a full-time Legal Assistant to support our team of attorneys who provide direct representation to children and adults in the immigration removal system. The Legal Assistant will work under the supervision of our Managing and Directing Attorneys to provide administrative and legal support. The Legal Assistant will be responsible for filling out USCIS forms, creating filings, word processing, creating spreadsheets, filing and case organization.
- High School Degree or GED is a must, College Degree is preferred;
- Experience assisting with legal work (perferably immigration legal work) is required, but internships and volunteer positions will be considered;
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail; Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Power Point; Typing speed ability: 35 words per minute, Experience working in a start-up non-profit and/or at a public interest law firm is helpful;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a high-volume, busy law office is a plus;
- Spanish language fluency required and will be tested at time of interview;
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required;
- DREAMERS strongly encouraged to apply!
Estimated Salary: Starting at $16/hour + DOE + generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, sick and vacation time, 12 paid holidays/year, and one paid week off between Christmas and New Years.
Deadline: Until filled
Immigrant Defenders Law Center