Fields: education, job training, immigrants, latinos, Spanish
Location: Houston, Texas
About the Organization: Considered the premier agency for community-based literacy programs in Houston, Literacy Advance helps adults read, write, communicate, and understand English to enable them to succeed in the workplace, in school, and in the community.
About the Position: The Wilcrest Program Coordinator is an integral part of the Literacy Advance Programs team and works closely with agency volunteers and learners, maintaining high levels of customer service, and pro-actively determining challenges and proposed solutions for the best program delivery possible. Success in this role relies on the Coordinator’s ability to respond to the day-to-day needs of learners and volunteers within the wider agency context of processes, procedures, and policies. This position requires a person with energy, creativity, sensitivity, and a dedication to helping increase the impact Literacy Advance programs have in the community, while maintaining the integrity and high level of service and professionalism that Literacy Advance has established.
To be successful, the Wilcrest Program Coordinator should possess outstanding customer service skills and the ability to develop and maintain working relationships with learners, volunteers, staff, community partners, and other agency stakeholders. It is important that the Program Coordinator is able to function independently while exercising discretion and mature judgment. The Coordinator acts as the Manager on Duty for evening and weekend (Saturday) operational hours.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an emphasis in adult education, social services, or a related field is preferred. However, all disciplines will be considered.
- Fluent in English and Spanish, able to communicate effectively in both languages both verbally and in written communications. This position requires a high level of sensitivity and experience in dealing positively with cultural differences and/or linguistic misunderstandings.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills will be required for successful growth within the role.
- 2 years of professional work experience is preferred.
- Strategic thinking about the programs, procedures and processes of day-to-day operations, with an ability to identify potential concerns and/or areas for improvement is essential.
Estimated Salary: $30,000 – $33,000, with final salary depending on experience and qualifications. Health and dental benefits, as well as PTO accrual.
Deadline: Until filled
Literacy Advance of Houston