Fields: social services, domestic violence, gender, women’s rights, racial justice
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
About the Organization: Safe Haven Shelter and Resource Center serves a seven-county area in northern Minnesota. Our Mission: Provide safety, space to heal, advocacy, and empowerment for women, children, and all survivors of domestic violence.
Safe Haven believes that domestic violence is rooted deep within our culture. It originates from within the same social fabric of institutional oppression, which spawns racism, ageism, sexism, heterosexism, cissexism, classism, religious bigotry, and discrimination against people who have disabilities. Safe Haven seeks to strike a balance between offering services to diverse victims while working toward the erosion of the cultural facilitators. We are committed to providing shelter, safety and advocacy for the individual victims and survivors of domestic violence. At the same time, we understand the necessity of action to move toward the elimination of social oppression of women and gender minorities. Because violence against women and gender minorities is so deeply rooted in our culture, we recognize the need for a multifaceted approach to the issue, including development of an effective response to the criminal justice, medical, religious, and social systems. We believe it is necessary to raise community awareness through publicizing the issue and through education in our schools and community organizations.
About the Position:
- Part-time: Provide advocacy, crisis intervention, support, information, provide referrals for women in the shelter and in the community, and attend to the needs of the residential environment of the Shelter.
- Casual: Provide support and assistance to Women’s Advocates and attend to the basic needs of residents, the residential environment, and the main office.
- Some college experience in Human Service or related field; Bachelor’s Degree in related field desired.
- Experience working with people who are managing crises.
- Knowledge of and/or experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of community resources desired.
- Bi-lingual desired.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance (liability limits required by Safe Haven). Access to a vehicle to use for work preferred.
Estimated Salary: Part-time, $16.38/hour. Casual, $14/hour.
Deadline: October 19, 2018
Safe Haven Shelter & Resource Center of Duluth