Fields: sustainability, outreach, environment, agriculture, community development
Location: Pomona, California
About the Organization: Earthwatch is an international environmental nonprofit organization that engages people in scientific field research and education. To achieve our mission, we offer research expeditions at exciting locations around the globe. Participants on these expeditions assist top scientists as they investigate important questions about how we can better protect our planet.
About the Position: The Operation Smart Water Research Coordinator will work with local partners to coordinate and deliver the Operation Smart Water (OSW) field research program. The OSW program includes recruiting, preparing, and leading members of the public (e.g. youth, community members) in field research (i.e. community science) events. The OSW Research Coordinator will ensure data are collected, shared and communicated appropriately. Key partners include the Chino Basin Water Conservation District (CBWCD), the academic research team, other local partners and participants.
The goals of OSW are to:
- a) Guide efficient outdoor water use for urban landscapes,
- b) Identify how vegetation provides cooling benefits to local community members, and
- c) Engage local public in relevant community science.
The OSW Research Coordinator will be based out of the Montclair, CA office of CBWCD. Willingness and ability to travel locally required. Must be able to access local field sites via personal vehicle or other transportation. The position will run from October 1, 2018 to October 1, 2019 for 32 hours per week.
- Ability to speak Spanish fluently required.
- Significant experience and comfort in research data collection; willingness and ability to learn new techniques quickly.
- Proven track record of successfully leading and educating members of the public around nature-based activities.
- Track record in coordinating across multiple groups and building partnerships; Enjoys working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills. Self-motivated, with excellent time management and organizational skills.
Estimated Salary: $30/hour, 32 hours/week