Fields: social work, homeless, youth, mental health, job training
Location: Los Angeles, California
About the Organization: The St. Margaret’s Center provides emergency and supportive services to poverty level and homeless individuals and families in the LAX area of Los Angeles.
About the Position: The Center is seeking an experienced Client Resources Coordinator to oversee The Rapid Rehousing for Transition Age Youth (18-24 y.o.) Program. The Client Resources Coordinator is responsible for receiving referrals of unsheltered homeless TAY individuals through direct street outreach activities, Housing Navigators and through community referrals from mental health, hospitals, and social service agencies. Other responsibilities include identification of housing/apartments in Service Planning Area (SPA) 8 and developing partnerships with landlords, property owners and management companies to increase accessibility to permanent housing.
The goal will be to enroll TAY individuals into the Rapid Rehousing program, facilitate placement into emergency housing, if needed, connection to social services, employment and permanent housing. The Client Resources Coordinator may also assist client in obtaining housing readiness documentation and accompany person through housing application process, and will work as part of a larger team within the Coordinated Entry System (CES) of Service Planning Area (SPA) 8. Team outreach events and services with other CES partners from various agencies in SPA 8 will also be conducted.
A valid California driver’s license and insurance is required for the position. In addition to working in a typical office environment, CRC will be required to work in areas inhabited by homeless persons, to include working in dirty environments and dealing with challenging individuals.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Passion for ending homelessness; Experience working with the homeless population a must. Ability to engage in street based outreach.
- Basic understanding of severe mental health, physical health, and substance abuse issues and symptoms.
- Maintaining a non-judgmental attitude and a display of unconditional positive regard when working with unsheltered TAY individuals; Ability to have a “whatever it takes” attitude when working with challenging individuals.
- Strong people skills and ability to work effectively with people of varying racial, ethnic, cultural, educational, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to listen with sensitivity to young people’s feelings, needs, and point of view; demonstrate tact and courtesy in expressing opinions or ideas, projecting a positive image of St. Margaret’s Center, and recognizing opportunities to enhance community relations.
- Ability to manage multiple cases efficiently and effectively; Familiar with Harm Reduction, Housing First and Trauma Informed Care models of service delivery; Substance Abuse/Recovery background a plus.
- 1-3 years of related experience, including outreach, preferred.
Estimated Salary: $35,000 – $38,000
Deadline: Until filled
St. Margaret’s Center of Los Angeles