Fields: food justice, social services, outreach, health, social work
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
About the Organization: Formed in 2007, Maryland Hunger Solutions (MDHS) is the leading Maryland nonprofit working to reduce hunger and improve nutrition in the State of Maryland by improving participation and benefits in public nutrition and related programs. MDHS’s focus is on using federal programs (e.g., food stamps, called the Food Supplement Program in Maryland, school breakfast and lunch, summer and afterschool nutrition programs, WIC and other programs) to reduce hunger and its adverse effects; to improve economic security, health and nutrition; and to strengthen community institutions. MDHS works to educate the public and policymakers about the extent of hunger and its impact on Maryland residents, to forge workable solutions at the state and local level, to track the performance of state and local agencies, to identify and spread sustainable best practices and to engage a network of partners to make the federal nutrition programs accessible to all those who are in need.
About the Position: Maryland Hunger Solutions, an initiative of the Food Research and Action Center, seeks a highly motivated and skilled individual to join Maryland Hunger Solutions as a part-time Anti-Hunger Program Assistant, focusing substantially on outreach, training, and public education regarding Maryland’s Food Supplement Program (FSP), also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Food Stamps.
This position will be located in Baltimore, Maryland with some travel around the state required. The responsibilities of the Anti-Hunger Program Assistant will predominantly involve outreach to increase participation in the FSP program. Willingness to work varied hours, and own transportation required. (Parking/mileage reimbursement provided for required out-of-office travel.)
- Demonstrated ability to reach out effectively to low-income families and community-based organizations.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and report on program data.
- Good conceptual, strategic thinking, and creative skills; Detail-oriented planning and implementation skills; Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong team orientation.
- Bilingual preferred.
- At least 6 months of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
Estimated Salary: $15/hour. 10 – 20 hours/week.
Deadline: Until filled / ASAP