Fields: arts, humanities, writing, communications, English
Location: NYC, New York
About the Organization: Since its launch in 1997, The Moth has presented thousands of stories told live and without notes. Moth shows are renowned for the great range of human experience they showcase. Each show starts with a theme, and the storytellers explore it, often in unexpected ways. Since each story is true and every voice authentic, the shows dance between documentary and theater, creating a unique, intimate, and often enlightening experience for the audience. Through ongoing programs in more than 29 cities, The Moth has presented over 30,000 stories to standing-room-only crowds worldwide and it currently produces more than 500 live shows each year. Additionally, The Moth runs storytelling workshops for high school students and adults in underserved communities through their Education and Community Programs.
About the Position:
- Assisting in the production of our live Mainstage, SLAM and GrandSLAM events, including attendance at at least two StorySLAMs every month
- Entering and organizing all post-production SLAM and Mainstage materials for our CRM database and filing system
- Proofing and assisting in the production of promotional materials and researching further promotional outlets for Mainstages and GrandSLAMs
- Proofing and assisting with promotional materials, calendars and show programs
- Researching potential venues in new and existing StorySLAM Markets and helping facilitate show launches in new cities
- Supporting the office with managing phones, The Moth’s info account, and administrative tasks as needed
- Research projects, as appropriate
- For the right applicant, there will be additional opportunities to sit in on Mainstage rehearsals, to participate in regular strategic meetings about the program, to go on venue site visits, and to be exposed to the Moth’s Community & Education programs.
The Moth is hiring a Live Event Production Intern to begin in late October of 2018 and complete their cycle in June of 2019. Applicants must be able to commit to the full eight-month session; we do not accept applications for summer-only interns. Internships are 32 hours per week and take place at our New York City headquarters during office hours (M-F, 10-6) with occasional hours taking place at events around the city.
- We are looking for applicants with a strong work ethic, a desire to learn new skills in production and a passion for stories and community building through storytelling.
- A love of The Moth’s work and mission
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector and/or the arts preferred
- Proficiency in Word and Excel; ability to learn CRM Database system
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Exceptional organization and administrative skills
- Ability to switch between independent and collaborative work
- Creative, self-sufficient and proactive thinker; detail-oriented and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Estimated Salary: The Moth provides a weekly stipend of $320, for 32 hours/week ($10/hour).
Deadline: October 5, 2018
The Moth/Storyville Center for the Spoken Word