Fields: youth, job training, education, poverty
Location: Portland, Oregon
About the Organization: Portland YouthBuilders (PYB) is a nonprofit, two-year alternative high school and job training program with the mission to support low-income young adults, ages 17-24, who are committed to changing their lives to become self-sufficient, contributing members of the workforce and their community. At PYB, students complete high school with a GED or diploma AND develop marketable employment skills by learning to build affordable housing from the ground up or learning to refurbish computers and provide technical assistance to low-income seniors. PYB students have the opportunity to serve as part-time AmeriCorps members and earn an AmeriCorps Education Award (this position is not AmeriCorps).
About the Position: The Fiscal Assistant supports the work of the Fiscal Department to serve the fiscal needs of PYB’s staff and students, and to provide accurate and timely financial information to the Board of Directors, management, and funders. The Fiscal Assistant provides sound fiscal and administrative support to ensure that financial transactions are performed in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, federal nonprofit financial management guidelines, and PYB fiscal policies.
The Fiscal Assistant interacts regularly with PYB’s staff, students, funders and vendors. This position has access to confidential organizational and personnel information and therefore requires exceptional discretion. We are seeking someone who can execute the technical aspects of this job while also demonstrating commitment to PYB’s mission and the young people we serve.
- Associate’s degree in Accounting or related field OR minimum 2 years equivalent and directly related work experience including accounts payable and general ledger experience. Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices; experience in nonprofit accounting preferred.
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgment in daily performance
- Excellent detailed tracking, analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong proofreading and editing skills with excellent grammatical skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and accounting software. Ability to be trained to capably use other financial and database software programs [PYB currently uses Sage 50 Accounting software].
- Experience, knowledge, or willingness to learn to contribute to PYB’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Preferred: Lived experience of inequity/oppression and connections to marginalized communities
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and access to a personal vehicle. Ability to pass a fingerprint background check and drug testing
Estimated Salary: $40,000 – $45,000 annual ~ $19.23 – 21.63/hr, depending on experience; 32-40 hours per week. Benefits include: 7 weeks paid vacation per year- prorated in first year based on length of service; most state recognized holidays paid, plus 1 personal day per month; $600 per month contribution to cafeteria plan for health care benefits and/or retirement savings; Life & Long-Term Disability insurance; dynamic environment with great team of students and staff.