Fields: health, environment, science, international development, human rights
About the Organization: Pure Earth, formerly Blacksmith Institute, is an international not-for-profit organization dedicated to solving life-threatening pollution problems in low- and middle-income countries. A global leader in this field, Pure Earth addresses a critical need to identify and clean up the world’s worst polluted places. The organization focuses on places where human health, especially that of women and children, is most at risk. Based in New York, Pure Earth works cooperatively in partnerships that include governments, the international community, NGOs and local agencies to design and implement innovative, low-cost solutions to save lives.
In addition to implementing cleanup projects, Pure Earth also maintains the world’s largest database of toxic pollution hotspots. This program, called the Toxic Sites Identification Program (TSIP), includes a database that currently holds information on more than 3,000 sites where toxic pollution exists at concentrations above international standards. The program currently involves nearly 100 consultants in 19 countries who conduct assessments at polluted sites. The reports from these field assessments are sent to Pure Earth’s headquarters and integrated into the global database. The database is then used by Pure Earth, multilateral organizations, and governments to select and prioritize sites for cleanup projects.
About the Position: Pure Earth seeks a qualified intern to assist the Toxic Sites Identification Program Team with a range of programmatic and administrative duties. The internship will be initially 3 months with possibility of extension. Interns can expect to perform the following tasks:
- Assist in the review of incoming and past polluted site assessments to ensure data quality
- Assist in the update of past polluted site assessment test data to comply with new Pure Earth requirements
- Draft and/or update technical documents related to toxic pollution and human health
- Assist in report drafting related to polluted sites, pollution trends, cleanup projects and environmental health issues
- Conduct independent desk research on polluted sites and environmental health issues
- Draft reports or surveys related to Pure Earth’s ongoing projects
- Perform other programmatic, database management and administrative tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (e.g. public health, environmental science, international development, or other related discipline); Master’s candidate preferred (e.g. MPH, MSc. MIA, etc).
- Knowledge and familiarity with environmental health and toxicology preferred
- Experience with pollution or environmental health research preferred
- Second language skills a plus
- Preference will be given to those applicants who have research experience related to environmental health or toxic pollutants such as heavy metals, pesticides, radionuclides, etc.
Estimated Salary: $15/hour, 20 hours a week