Fields: food justice, sustainability, environment, outreach, urban planning
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
About the Organization: Big Initiative and Big Reuse’s mission is to keep materials out of the landfill, protect the environment, create green jobs, and support new environmental initiatives. We are work everyday to divert construction and demolition waste and organic waste from our landfills, which contributes to pollution, GHG emissions, climate change and global warming. We are a non-profit social enterprise which uses the materials that otherwise would have been thrown out to create value in our communities.
Organics collection is the NYC Department of Sanitation’s curbside recycling service for food scraps, food-soiled paper and yard waste. Just like traditional recycling of paper, cardboard, metal, glass and plastic, residents separate these items and put them in brown bins that Sanitation provides. These organics are collected weekly and turned into compost and clean energy. Big Reuse has partnered with DSNY to conduct outreach for the rollout of this new service. Our amazing team of outreach associates work in the streets throughout the five boroughs. We speak with residents about organics collection in order to increase resident participation rates, reduce contamination rates, and compile feedback in order to better acclimate the program to the needs of our city. Our team partners with local community groups to better spread the word at events and meetings.
About the Position: The NYC Organics Collection Outreach Associate is primarily responsible for providing NYC residents that live in the organics collection areas with information about the NYC Organics Collection Program. The Outreach Associate will focus in all 5 boroughs to build enthusiasm about the program so as to increase resident participation and lower contamination rates. Outreach Associates will staff information tables in the various neighborhoods so as to educate residents about the program and coordinate with partner organizations to attend events. Additionally, Outreach Associates will work alongside bin delivery trucks to speak with residents and answer any questions about the program while the organics bins are being delivered. Candidates need to be able to track the necessary programmatic information and submit to the Organics Outreach Coordinator as requested. Outreach Associate staff will work 40 hours/week to expand public participation and awareness in curbside organics collection. Position would run until the end of June 2019 with a possibility of extending beyond that. Work weeks vary but are typically Mon-Fri 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ideal candidates will be interested in public outreach and enthusiastic about composting, food scrap and yard waste recycling.
- Outgoing public speaker, ease with interfacing with the public. Comfortable in a wide range of environments.
- Valid NYS driver’s license and is willing to drive, using Zip cars and/or rental cars, as needed in NYC. Preferred: access to cell phone and/or smart phone while in field
- Chinese, Spanish, Korean, Russian or other language fluency an asset.
- Knowledge of NYC and familiarity with its neighborhoods.
- Minimum two years of related work experience. (Editor’s note: I think a degree would substitute for this.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree (Preferably in Environmental or Horticultural Science or another related field)
Estimated Salary: $40,000 – $44,000 + PTO, health insurance
Deadline: September 29, 2018