Fields: journalism, reproductive rights, women’s rights, policy, gender
About the Organization: Media Matters for America is a progressive, Washington, D.C-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media. The Abortion Rights and Reproductive Health Program at Media Matters monitors print, online, and broadcast media for conservative misinformation about abortion and reproductive rights more broadly.
About the Position: The Abortion Rights and Reproductive Health Researcher will be responsible for monitoring, analyzing, and researching coverage of abortion rights and reproductive health topics in mainstream, right-wing, and non-traditional media. This includes conducting deep-dive research into how anti-abortion extremists are driving media narratives, as well as identifying sources of anti-choice misinformation — particularly when misleading claims make the jump into wider media narratives or policy proposals. The Abortion Rights and Reproductive Health Researcher will be responsible for providing research to shape strategic priorities and partner engagements, as well as for producing both long term and rapid response content.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in media/communication, women’s and gender studies, public-policy, pre-law or legal studies, or finance;
- Breadth of knowledge or interest in media and the effect of misinformation in shaping public debate and policy;
- Exceptional research skills, including the ability to use basic research tools and more specialized databases such as Nexis; effectively synthesize data from numerous sources to identify patterns and trends of misinformation; ability to discern credible sources of information;
- Strong analytical thinking and communication skills, including the ability to identify central points of misinformation; create impactful research documents that synthesize large bodies of research or data sets and clearly communicate trends; think critically and novelly about finding information and be able to make sense of subtext;
- Independent and flexible, a self-starter who is able to creatively pursue new ideas and identify opportunities but is also able to contribute to wider team projects;
- And, the ability to effectively prioritize important assignments, triage competing priorities, and adjust based on breaking news, new findings, feedback, and changes in strategy.
- High level of familiarity with reproductive rights and reproductive justice advocacy, including knowledge of general trends of legal and political challenges to abortion access;
- Knowledge or experience conducting research into digital media tactics, platforms, and content strategies (i.e. how content manipulation occurs on Facebook, Twitter, etc);
- And, experience conducting research or investigative work on financial and public records of individuals and businesses.
Estimated Salary: Starts at $45,000 (commensurate with experience) + benefits
Deadline: Until filled
Media Matters for America