Fields: progressive, politics, campaigns, social justice, fundraising
Location: Chicago, Illinois
About the Organization: The mission of People’s Action is to advance a long-term agenda for racial, economic and gender justice by investing in powerful state and local organizations and campaigns that win real change in people’s lives. Through strategic issue campaigns, movement politics (electoral) campaigns, leadership development, direct action, grassroots and netroots action we engage everyday people-and-power organizations in more than 30 states in building an economy and a democracy that puts people and planet first.
About the Position: People’s Action is looking for an experienced social justice practitioner to play a key role in supporting the effectiveness of People’s Action’s Director. We are seeking an organized, high-performing, and thoughtful person who is excited about aligning the Director’s day-to-day activities with the vision, values, and goals of the organization. This is a unique opportunity to serve as part executive assistant and part strategic thinking partner to a senior staff member at one of the nation’s leading political organizations.
The Special Assistant is the primary support staff for the Director. The Special Assistant reports to the Deputy Director and works out of People’s Action’s Chicago office. You are an excellent fit for this position if…
- You are organized, detail-oriented, and always follow-through
- You are self-driven and take initiative
- You enjoy creating and maintaining systems that improve workflow
- You are a strategic thinker: you know how to ask the right questions in the right moment
- You value authentic connection
- You know how to “manage up”
- Commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice.
- Prior experience in project management, executive administration, or related work
- Ability to build strong working relationships
- Clear and direct communicator; Excellent written communication skills, including precise editing
- Comfort working in a remote work environment
- Highly organized and systematic, with strong time and project management skills
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills, including building an awareness of organizational goals and priorities
- Flexible and comfortable working under pressure in a fast-paced environment, with shifting and competing priorities
- Proven track record of developing systems and using technology to improve efficiency; Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Slack, Google Office, in particular, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Docs, and Google Slides
- Comfortable handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrated clear and effective judgment/decision-making
- Experience working with community organizing groups
- Familiarity with foundation fundraising
- Training or experience with organizational development
Estimated Salary: $55,000-$65,000. Benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, 401k plan with employer contribution, flexible spending account and paid time off in December, in addition to paid vacation.
Deadline: Until filled – hoping for October 1 start